Become a leader in business
I work full-time, I’ve got a wife, I’ve got school-aged children and hobbies. I reckon if I can make time for an MBA, just about anybody can.
My career goals are really just to have a job that’s satisfying and has a really genuine impact on something that makes a difference, something that’s more than just bringing in a salary.
Why pick an MBA?
An MBA just is a good, general piece of education that helps you understand more broadly how company functions, and gave me some knowledge that was really important for where my career is at the moment.
What stood out from your course?
An MBA is such a diverse course and there’s a number of different standouts.Amongst them, probably, there’s an excellent marketing and entrepreneurial subject, which really challenged my perceptions on the way that enterprise and particularly innovation can be accessed in so many different parts of industry.
How are you apply your MBA to your career?
One of the great things about the SCU course is almost immediately, a number of things that I learnt I was able to apply directly at work. A good example, I’m doing a lot more interaction with the board of the not-for-profit I’m working for at the moment. The subject on governance has really helped me to navigate a field which is really unfamiliar to me in the past.
How did you benefit from study with Southern Cross University Online?
What I found from Southern Cross in the online program, particularly, is online learning is a lot more sophisticated and a lot more natural than it has been in the past. I think we understand a lot more about how to get the most out of the online environment and SCU has certainly harnessed that and taking feedback from students, and I believe are on the cutting-edge of online learning.
How did you fit study into your busy life?
The great thing about studying online is you’re not tied into lectures and timetables. I was able to be more flexible in the way that I use my time and more effective; use those grabs of time, maybe an hour here or even a half an hour there that I wouldn’t have been able to use in a more traditional study environment.
Would you recommend an online MBA with Southern Cross University?
Having compared notes, and just watching the way some of my friends have navigated the courses that they’ve done through other institutions, I’m quite comfortable that I made the right choice. I think I’ve had a better time than what they have over the past couple of years. For anyone that’s looking to do an MBA, particularly an online MBA, I would certainly recommend looking at the SCU course.
Specialise or study a generalist MBA online
You have two options:
- Study our comprehensive suite of business units with a specialisation in one of our four key fields: accounting, health services management, information knowledge management or managing and leading people. This is an effective way to gain the deep knowledge you need to enhance your professional expertise.
- Study our comprehensive suite of business units without a specialisation, gaining skills and knowledge from a variety of units, and graduate with an understanding of every facet of business.
What you can study^
Economics and Quantitative Analysis
Accounting for Managers
Finance for Managers
Corporate Governance for Managers
The Positive Leader
Project Management Principles
Strategy and Case Analysis
Managing Information Systems
Electives (select two)
If not taking a specialisation, select two of the following units in addition to Industry Research Project (double weighted):
Business Accounting for Managers
Business and Corporation Law for Managers
Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
Leading Change in Healthcare
Principles and Practice of Clinical Accountability
Strategic Health Management
Managing Digital Enterprise
Strategic Knowledge Management
Organisational Change and Development
Human Resource Management
- Business Accounting for Managers
- Business and Corporation Law for Managers
- Industry Research Project (double weighted)
Health Services Management (select two of the following)
Career and industry outlook
The business world is constantly evolving, and so too are online MBA courses. Now, more than ever, the knowledge and leadership skills needed to successfully carry out management roles is in high demand across a number of sectors, including accounting and finance, business management, and other non-business specific fields.
Graduates of a Master of Business Administration degree are being sought out by employers as they’re understood to be a genuine asset to a company. Over the last five years, the demand for MBA graduates has grown by over 62% worldwide.
The 2017 GMAC Corporate Recruiters Survey Report found that nine out of 10 employers across Asia-Pacific will be seeking MBA graduates to join their organisations. This is largely because of their solid preparation for management roles, in-depth problem-solving skills and professional networks.
Backing this up, a separate Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) survey also found that:
- 96% of employers* agree that hiring business school graduates creates value for their companies; and
- 68% of employers* agree that recruiting graduates of MBA program is a priority in their company’s hiring plans.
Flexible entry and exit options
We know that plans change. That’s why we’ve built flexible entry and completion options into the online Master of Business Administration.
This means that if you need to exit earlier than expected, you could still receive a postgraduate business degree through our online Graduate Certificate in Business or Graduate Diploma in Business, based on the units you’ve completed.
If you decide to return to your MBA at a later date, you’ll receive advanced standing towards your degree. Studying a postgraduate business degree online with Southern Cross University, with our flexibility and accessibility, is a win-win!
When you apply for the online Master of Business Administration, we calculate advanced standing by looking at your particular education and experience. However, this outline will give you a good idea of what you may receive.
You may receive the four units in Part C as advanced standing, reducing your total study time by up to eight months, if you have:
- a Bachelor degree in a similar field; or
- a Graduate Certificate in business, or an equivalent qualification
You may also receive advanced standing if you:
- demonstrate other academic or professional standing approved by our School Board
- have completed units through our Executive Management Program; or
- have five years’ relevant work experience or professional qualifications through formal or non-formal study.
- Demonstrated professional standing – either a Bachelor’s degree (or a similar qualification) from a university, or have other experience that we regard as equivalent to a degree.
- Be proficient in English.
Paul Betts, online MBA graduate
Learning with Southern Cross University Online
Southern Cross University’s online MBA courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. Units are delivered by tech-savvy academics via a fresh, smart, collaborative and interactive interface.
- 100% online and flexible – complete six units a year, or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
- Student success support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you.
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators.
*Percentage of employers who responded the survey
Southern Cross University offer both online and on-campus versions of the MBA. This information refers to the online version. Please check the online MBA course listing at scu.edu.au or ask your Student Enrolment Advisor for more information.
This information is correct at time of release and subject to change without notice. Copyright Southern Cross University September 2017.