Lead the future of education with an online Master of Education
Advocate for better education. Shape the minds of tomorrow. Be a leading force in your industry. With a Master of Education from Southern Cross University, you’ll be prepared for all the challenges that come with a fulfilling career in education.
Our Master of Education online course is designed to enhance the ability of professional educators. We understand that the education sector is constantly evolving, which is why our online Master of Education is structured to help you perform successfully as an educational leader in contemporary contexts.
This course offers two specialisations: Educational Leadership and Educational Wellbeing. With a curriculum tailored to your interests and career ambitions, you can choose to grow in the direction you’re most passionate about and build a rewarding future.
Teachers and educational professionals wishing to further their careers will benefit from a diverse offering of units. Plus, our Masters degree in education is available online, Australia-wide meaning you can join the classroom from wherever you are based.
Prepare for a diverse career in education
Southern Cross University’s online Master of Education comprises two specialisations. Depending on your career objectives, you may choose one of the following:
Do you want to drive leadership and business strategies in an education setting? Our Master of Education online is designed with contemporary education settings in mind, incorporating real-world learning. It provides you with everything you need to manage people, time, resources and even the books to improve education outcomes with confidence.
Bring positive change to the education system with a specialisation in teacher and student welfare. Our online Master of Education provides you with the skills you need to see the potential in others, build valuable relationship skills, and offer guidance and support to those who are going through difficult times.
Why study your MEd online with Southern Cross?
Watch the Master of Education’s course coordinator, Dr Anne Bellert discuss the benefits of further study for teachers and educational professionals.
Why Southern Cross University Online?
The School of Education has a proud history of making a great contribution to teacher education and to the profession of teaching that stretches back almost 50 years.
To ensure academic rigour, all staff involved in the development, writing and teaching of these units are academics with PhDs in various fields within the discipline of education.
The Master of Education provides you with many opportunities for career progression and what’s more, it’s designed to suit your busy lifestyle.
The course is conducted fully online and the demands of the course are tailored towards your professional needs. You can pave the way for future thinkers as the leader of your school.
The skills provided by a Master of Education will set you up to lead your department to make informed decisions in line with the curriculum, and provide guidance and instructional leadership to other teachers.
Southern Cross University Online boasts one of the most cost-effective online Master of Education degrees in Australia.
What you can study
Delivered fully online, this Masters degree in education offers a broad range of study options throughout the program.
Part A – The compulsory units
- Contemporary Educational Leadership
- Contemporary Educational Contexts
- Leading Professional Learning
- Educational Investigation
Part B – Specialisation: Educational Leadership
- Accounting for Managers
- Human Resource Management
- The Positive Leader
- Evaluation for Improved Teaching and Learning
OR Part B – Specialisation: Educational Wellbeing
Career and industry outlook
With an online Master of Education, your career prospects are endless. On completion, you’ll discover a wide range of senior teaching roles open to you. No matter where you envisage yourself in the education sector, a Master of Education can help you get there.
- School principal – Pave the way for future thinkers as the leader of your school. Whether in primary or secondary, the School Principal is responsible for making important decisions and constantly advocating for the education of students.
- Head of department – The skills provided by studying a Master of Education online will set you up to lead your department, make informed decisions in line with the curriculum, and provide guidance and instructional leadership to other teachers.
- Educational consultant – Harness the power of your practical and diverse expertise to influence community life on a local, state or federal level. Combine your education background with budget and stakeholder management to benefit society.
- Curriculum developer – Shape the future of education by designing innovative new curriculums to inspire and engage learners. Our online Master of Education prepares you to develop and deliver your own training, workshops, courses and curriculums.
Flexible exit options
We know that plans change. That’s why we’ve built a flexible completion option into the online Master of Education degree. If you need to exit early, if home or work commitments demand your full attention, you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
If you decide to complete your Masters at a later date, you’ll receive advanced standing towards your degree.
- Exit with a Graduate Certificate in Education by completing four units from Part A.
To qualify for entry to the Master of Education online, you must have:
- a four-year Bachelor degree in Education from any Australian university or equivalent; OR
- an undergraduate degree and a fourth-year level teaching qualification from any Australian university or equivalent.
Non-standard language admission requirements for international students (IELTS) with an overall score of 7.5 or equivalent.
Please note: you must be a registered teacher to be eligible for this course.
If you’ve already completed a postgraduate degree in education, you may be eligible for advanced standing.
This recognition of prior knowledge can shave months of your total study time, which means you can graduate even sooner. Talk to our friendly team about any advanced standing you may be eligible for.
Aleasa Brink, online Master of Education student
Learning with Southern Cross University Online
Southern Cross University’s online courses fit around work, family and life. Units are delivered by tech-savvy academics via fresh, smart, and collaborative interactive technology.
100% online and flexible
Complete six, seven-week study periods per year, or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
Student success support
From first enquiry to graduation, we’re here to provide the ultimate online study experience.
Networked for success
Connectivity and engagement is part of the deal. Many of our graduates have met future collaborators during their studies.
This information is correct at time of release and subject to change without notice. Copyright Southern Cross University March 2017.