Lead and manage healthcare services teams
A Master of Business Administration with a specialisation in Health Services Management teaches you how to effectively apply principles of strategic management and planning to a health setting. Learn to deal with internal and external impacts, like funding cuts, internal restructure or a change in government. You may be from a health background, looking to build your general business and management skills, or maybe you come from a non-health background and want to lead change and innovation in a healthcare setting
Focusing on issues within the healthcare sector, our online MBA specialising in Health Services Management prepares you for management roles and develops your abilities to effectively lead teams of healthcare professionals. Specialising in your MBA allows you to hone industry-specific skills while you study a practical, well recognised postgraduate degree.
What you'll study
- Management Communication
- Organisational Behaviour
- Economics and Quantitative Analysis
- Accounting for Managers
- Finance for Managers
- Corporate Governance for Managers
- The Positive Leader
- Project Management Principles
- Global Business
- Strategy and Case Analysis
- Managing Information Systems
- Industry Research Project (double-weighted)
Specialisation units (select two)
- Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
- Leading Change in Healthcare
- Principles and Practice of Clinical Accountability
- Strategic Health Management
Why specialise in your MBA?
Selecting a specialisation is a matter of choice, not a prerequisite for MBA studies. Both the generalist and specialist students will graduate with the same level of MBA qualification, and both are equally as regarded by employers. The difference however is that a specialisation in Health Services Management allows you to focus on a specific area of industry knowledge.
An MBA specialising in Health Services Management gives you a deeper understanding of business functionality, with special attention paid to management and leadership. It will develop your core leadership skills in order to effectively manage teams across the health services industry.
- MBA specialisation helps me target my career goals
- MBA specialisation makes me stand out in a crowded job market
- MBA specialisation allows me to gain business management skills
Career and industry outlook
The 2018 Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) Corporate Recruiters report showed hiring demand for MBA graduates in healthcare industries continues to one of the highest across all industries looking to hire business graduates.
High-ranking jobs include:
- Healthcare administration
- Clinic management
- Ward management
- Research and development
*Percentage of employers who responded the survey
Flexible entry and exit options
We know that plans change. That’s why we’ve built flexible entry and completion options into the Master of Business Administration (MBA).
This means that if you need to exit earlier than expected – if home or work demand your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification (Graduate Certificate in Business Administration or Graduate Diploma in Business Administration) based on the units you’ve completed.^
If you decide to return to your MBA at a later date, you’ll receive advanced standing towards your degree. It’s a win-win!.
^You can only gain an MBA specialisation at Masters level, therefore you cannot exit with a specialisation at a Diploma or Certificate level.
- Demonstrated professional standing – either a bachelor’s degree (or a similar qualification) from a university, or other experience that we deem as equivalent to a degree.
- Be proficient in English.
Learning with Southern Cross University Online
Southern Cross University’s online courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. Units are delivered by tech-savvy academics via a fresh, smart, collaborative and interactive interface.
- 100% online and flexible – complete six units a year, or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
- Student success support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you.
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators.
Find out more about studying online.
Southern Cross University offers both online and on-campus versions of the MBA. This information refers to the online version. Please check the Online MBA course listing at scu.edu.au or ask your Student Enrolment Advisor for more information.
This information is correct at time of release and subject to change without notice. Copyright Southern Cross University February 2019.