Stake your claim as a leader in Project Management
What is it that makes a project succeed or fail? How do you know which project management methodology is the right one to use in any given situation? What are the critical thinking skills you require to be an effective project manager or program leader? Answering complex strategic questions like these takes more than a three-day workshop or weekend intensive. It requires a commitment to the development of a deep, industry-informed knowledge base underpinned by research – this is where SCU’s Master of Project Management online comes in.
Aligned with the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) benchmarking tool Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), through SCU’s online postgraduate project management degree, you’ll learn core competencies associated with risk, control, planning, implementation, evaluation, collaboration and systems analysis, all adaptable to your chosen industry. More than anything, our online Master of Project Management is about giving you options. You can study broadly, focus your degree towards one or more areas of specialisation, or tailor your study to an emerging field – for example IT project management in the healthcare sector.
Project management is booming in terms of job prospects across industry sectors – almost 50% of employers plan to grow permanent project management roles (Hays, 2015). Set yourself apart from your peers with a project management masters that demonstrates your depth of understanding, critical and analytical skills, and serious commitment to your profession.
Tailor your degree to suit your career
The phases and processes associated with project management are relevant to many industries. Our Master of Project Management online is customisable for myriad of career trajectories. You could select elective units broadly based on your interests, anchor yourself in one arena or create your own concentration with an eye to the future.
What you can study
Not all project management courses online offer the breadth of business insights that is required for a well-rounded professional career in project management roles. SCU Online’s Master of Project Management delivers a choice of electives that cover six core business functions.
Part A: The core units (complete all)
- Project Management Principles
- Project Management: Initiation and Planning
- Project Management: Quality, Control and Risk
- Leading and Managing Projects
- Project Procurement and Contract Management
- Portfolio and Program Management
Part B: Electives
- Entrepreneurship and Marketing*
- Strategy and Case Analysis*
- Business and Corporation Law for Managers*
- Global Business*
Health Services Management:
Information and Knowledge Management:
Managing and Leading People:
- Organisational Change and Development*
- Human Resource Management*
- Leading and Managing People*
- Stakeholder Engagement
Part C: Research project (compulsory)
- Industry Research Project A
- Industry Research Project B
* SCU offer both online and on-campus versions of this unit. This entry refers to the online version. Please check the Master of Project Management Online course listing at scu.edu.au for more information.
Flexible exit options
We know plans change. That’s why we’ve built a flexible completion option into the Master of Project Management. If you need to exit early, if home or work demand your full attention, you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed. If you decide to complete one of SCU’s online project management courses at a later date, you’ll receive advanced standing towards your project management masters.
- To receive a Graduate Diploma in Project Management, you need to complete eight units – all Part A and two Part B units.
- To receive a Graduate Certificate in Project Management, you need to complete four units – all Part A units.
To qualify for entry into the Master of Project Management online, you must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a minimum of two years’ work experience in a professional environment; or
- Have over five years’ work experience/professional standing that is regarded by the Academic Board as equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
- Be proficient in English.
You may be eligible for advanced standing toward one of SCU’s project management courses online if:
- you have completed a post graduate level unit(s) (for example as part of a Master of Business Administration) in Project Management through which you may be granted advanced standing for the unit Project Management Principles.
- you have gained specific project management career experience gained over a minimum of five years.
The career opportunities for graduates of the Master of Project Management online are as diverse as the places you find project managers. Where will your degree take you?
Senior Project Manager
You may work as part of the Project Management Office (PMO) on projects within a program, or may be a lead project manager on a given project, developing, planning and delivering projects systematically – using tools and change management frameworks.
As the manager of the Project Management Office you’ll ensure the successful delivery of project services, including scope and variation control, timelines and schedules, costs, estimates, quality assurance, risk and issue management, communications, procurement and contracts, document control, steering committee reporting and more.
Business Intelligence Consultant
Design intelligent business solutions for your workplace and your clients. Use your knowledge of tools and technologies to implement business solutions and manage projects.
Support the implementation and delivery of strategic and resourcing initiatives across the business. Analysis and management of data collected may also be part of your role.
Help move an organisation from a current state, through a transition state, to a desired state by shaping the way business is done, and who does it.
Steven Walsh, Master of Project Management current online student
Learning with SCU Online
Southern Cross University’s online project management courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. Units are delivered by tech-savvy academics via a fresh, smart, collaborative and interactive interface.
- 100% online and flexible – complete six units a year, or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
- Student success Advisor support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you.
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators.