Develop the skills to effectively respond to patient needs
There is a growing need in our Australian healthcare system for highly skilled professionals who understand the complexities of mental health and can offer well-informed mental health clinical interventions. Southern Cross University’s online Master of Mental Health postgraduate course will enhance your understanding of mental health and psychology, while building the skills needed to effectively respond to patients experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
This program is designed to prepare graduates for work within a range of health settings and disciplines. You will gain practical skills and specialised theoretical knowledge to extend or enhance your role in mental health.
- Provide effective care through your enhanced understanding of mental health and specialised skills
- Gain knowledge to work across a broad range of public and private healthcare settings
- Access an interactive and responsive learning platform, enabling fluid communication between students and academics
- 100% online, shift-work friendly study – complete six units a year or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention
- Student success support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators
- Learn from leading and clinically active mental health academics
- Study online with the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences
To qualify for entry into the Mental Health Masters program, all applicants must:
- have successfully completed a minimum three (3) year Bachelor qualification, or equivalent, in a health, psychology or social science related discipline, and;
- Be proficient in English.
If you are a registered nurse, you could also be eligible for the Master of Mental Health Nursing degree.
Why SCU’s Online Master of Mental Health?
Hear Master of Mental Health Professor John Hurley, on why this course is a great option for healthcare workers with a variety of backgrounds.
What you’ll study
The units that make up the online Masters degree in mental health have been designed to develop the skills required to effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields.
You will be taught to question your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework.
- Contemporary Mental Health
- Mental Health Across the Lifespan
- Mental Health in Community, Non-government and Private Settings
- Acute Mental Health
- Appraising Evidence
- Physical Healthcare in Mental Health
- Supporting Behaviour Change in Mental Health
- Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
- Applied Leadership in Mental Health Clinical Practice
- Developing Skills in Contemporary Psychotherapies
- Discovery and Enquiry in Health: The Critical Literature Review
Electives (choose one)
- Health Systems, Policies and Practices
- Leadership and Management in Health
- Leading Change in Healthcare
- Principles and Practice of Clinical Accountability
- Social and Emotional Competence in the Workplace
- Teaching and Supervision in a Clinical Setting
- The Positive Leader
- Organisational Change and Development
- Human Resource Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Project Management Principles
- Business Accounting for Managers
- Management Communication
Flexible entry and exit options
Situations change, your priorities may shift – which is why we’ve built flexible entry and exit points into our online Master of Mental Health course.
This means that you can enrol in either Graduate Diploma or Masters program, and if you need to exit early – if home or work demand your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
Download the brochure
For more details about the 100% online Master of Mental Health, complete the form at the top of the page to download your brochure. You’ll receive in-depth information on:
- Entry criteria
- Course duration
- Fees and financing options
- Courses and assessment types
- Industry-related work
- Student support
- Career pathways
^ Southern Cross University offer both online and on-campus versions of these units. This information refers to the online version. Please check the unit listing at scu.edu.au or ask your Student Enrolment Advisor for more information.
This information is correct at time of release and subject to change without notice. Copyright Southern Cross University February 2019.
5-STAR Student Support
5-STAR Teaching Quality
5-STAR Social Equity
Bold, progressive and just 23 years of age – Southern Cross University is one of the Asia-Pacific’s Top 100 Universities and one of the world’s Top 50 Generation Y Universities.
SCU’s online programs meet all of the AQF guidelines, ensuring you a quality education.