The MBA of Engineering
Our online Master of Engineering Management (MEM) is the MBA for engineers. Taught by industry and academic leaders, it’s designed to prepare you to lead and innovate in the top tiers, work across any engineering discipline, or start your own firm or consultancy.
A Master of Engineering Management from Southern Cross University Online will prime you for a future less “greenfield”. You’ll gain the skills to respond strategically to a growing population demand for world-class infrastructure, becoming a versatile engineer who can manage multi-disciplinary teams, stakeholders, budgets and timelines. In addition, some units studied in a master of engineering degree may count towards your continued professional development (CPD) requirements with Engineers Australia or your relevant professional registering body.
- Graduate in just 16 months part-time
- Start studying in any one of our six intakes
- Study on an engaging, social learning environment
- 100% online study, with no on-campus commitments
- Gain a qualification from a globally ranked university
- Access a dedicated Student Support Advisor, five days a week
- Equivalent to an on-campus qualification
- Exit early and still gain a qualification
To qualify for entry into the Master of Engineering Management online program, you must be proficient in English and:
- have a four (4) year undergraduate degree in engineering, or in a cognate discipline; or
- have a three (3) year undergraduate degree in engineering, or in a cognate discipline, plus at least two (2) years of relevant work experience; or
- demonstrated relevant prior learning and/or experience equivalent to the two points above.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is available to those who have undertaken relevant education and/or significant workforce experience.
Benefits of an Engineering Masters from SCU
Dr Tim Heldt, Lecturer at the School of Environment, Science and Engineering
Completing the Master of Engineering Management
Hi, my name’s Tim Heldt. I’m a lecturer in the Master of Engineering Management at Southern Cross University.
In the last 20 years, there’s been a lot of changes and a lot of need for change in the way that engineering gets managed.
So, in order to progress and fully utilised and broaden the skill base and the contribution of individuals as they progress, they really need to understand a lot more about engineering management processes.
For somebody who is competent and experienced in their engineering area, and wants to progress – and wants to make a great contribution involving technical decisions, then the MEM will be an ideal preparation to support that growth.
Whereas an MBA will primarily support just the business stream of that component. And of course, the way the MEM has been designed – it actually includes both.
It doesn’t exclude the MBA, but it uses some of the MBA skills with the engineering management skills to produce a different outcome.
What you can study
Engineering graduate programs bolster your engineering foundation. When working toward a Masters in engineering, units covered include economic viability and sustainability, infrastructure longevity and stakeholder participation. You can also add a business administration flavour to your degree by choosing units in entrepreneurship and marketing, accounting, project management and leadership, to give yourself a well-rounded edge.
- Engineering for a Sustainable Future
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Strategic Infrastructure Asset Management
Part B (choose three)
- Organisational Behaviour
- Entrepreneurship and Marketing
- Economics and Quantitative Analysis
- Project Management Principles
- Project Management: Initiation and Planning
- Project Management: Quality, Control and Risk
- Accounting for Managers
- Finance for Managers
- Global Business
- Managing Digital Enterprise
- Information Systems Analysis and Design
- The Positive Leader
- Corporate Governance for Managers
Industry Research Project (double weighted)
- Industry Research Project A
- Industry Research Project B
For more information about what units you will study, download the brochure.
Early exit options
If you need to exit early, you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
Exit with a Graduate Certificate
- by completing four units – two from Part A and two from Part B.
Ignatious Maridanise, Master of Engineering Management online graduate
Download the Brochure
For more details about the Master of Engineering Management online program, complete the form at the top of the page to download your brochure. You’ll receive in-depth information on:
- Entry criteria
- Start dates and duration
- Fees and financing options
- Courses and assessment types
- Industry-related work
- Student support and concierge service
- Careers pathways
5-STAR Student Support
5-STAR Teaching Quality
5-STAR Social Equity
Bold, progressive and just 23 years of age – Southern Cross University is one of the Asia-Pacific’s Top 100 Universities and one of the world’s Top 50 Generation Y Universities.
SCU’s online programs meet all of the AQF guidelines, ensuring you a quality education.