Develop the right skills to provide effective mental health care
By completing Southern Cross University’s online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health course, you gain expert knowledge in mental health and psychiatry, while building the skills needed to confidently respond to patients experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
Developed with the latest industry standards in mind, this program prepares you to work within a range of health settings and disciplines. You will access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based knowledge and learn from leading and clinically active mental health academics from the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences.
- With a growing need for professionals who understand the complexities of mental health, this postgraduate diploma will put you in good stead for a rewarding future in this field.
- Provide effective care through your enhanced understanding of mental health and specialised skills
- Gain knowledge to work across a broad range of public and private healthcare settings
- Access an interactive and responsive learning platform, enabling fluid communication between students and academics
- Ongoing support throughout your study journey from a dedicated Student Success Advisor
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma, all applicants must:
- have successfully completed a minimum three (3) year Bachelor qualification, or equivalent, in a health, psychology or social science related discipline, and;
- Be proficient in English.
If you are a registered nurse, you could also be eligible for the Graduate Diploma of Mental Health (Nursing).
What you can study
The units that form part of the online postgraduate courses in mental health have been designed to develop the skills required to effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields.
You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework.
Complete all eight units:
Acute Mental Health
Contemporary Mental Health
Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
Mental Health Across the Lifespan
Mental Health in Community, Non-government and Private Settings
Physical Healthcare in Mental Health
Supporting Behaviour Change in Mental Health
Flexible exit options
You can enter into the Graduate Diploma, and if you need to exit early – if home or work demand your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
The best part? Everything you complete will be credited towards your online Masters degree in mental health, should you choose to finish it off at a later stage.
Download the brochure
For more details about the 100% online Master of Mental Health, complete the form at the top of the page to download your brochure. You’ll receive in-depth information on:
- Entry criteria
- Course duration
- Fees and financing options
- Courses and assessment types
- Industry-related work
- Student support
- Careers pathways
^ Southern Cross University offer both online and on-campus versions of these units. This information refers to the online version. Please check the unit listing at scu.edu.au or ask your Student Enrolment Advisor for more information.
This information is correct at time of release and subject to change without notice. Copyright Southern Cross University May 2018.
Southern Cross University’s online training courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. The units in the Masters programs in mental health are delivered by respected academics via a collaborative and responsive interface.
5-STAR Student Support
5-STAR Median Graduate Starting Salary
5-STAR Graduate Employment
Bold, progressive and just 23 years of age – Southern Cross University is one of the Asia-Pacific’s Top 100 Universities and one of the world’s Top 50 Generation Y Universities.
SCU’s online programs meet all of the AQF guidelines, ensuring you a quality education.