Enhance your nursing practice with specialised skills
Study an online postgraduate mental health nursing course with Southern Cross University’s internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences. The Graduate Diploma will build your understanding of how to effectively respond to people experiencing a range of mental health challenges.
Mental health is a growing issue, so this qualification will help to prepare you for a variety of roles within public and private nursing and healthcare settings.
You will learn from leading and clinically active mental health nurse academics; and access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based coursework through a responsive and interactive learning environment.
This nursing course has accreditation under the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses (ACMHN) and upon completion, you can use your new qualification as part of the requirements to become a credentialed mental health nurse. It’s also the first postgraduate program of its kind, developed against the latest mental health industry standards.
Current, clinically relevant coursework delivered by the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences
Access an interactive and responsive learning platform, enabling fluid communication between students and academics
This postgraduate qualification is accredited by the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses
Ongoing support throughout your study journey from a dedicated Student Success Advisor
What you will study
The units that form part of the online mental health post grad courses have been designed to develop the skills required for nurses to effectively respond to challenges within the field of mental health.
You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework.
Complete all eight units
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing, all applicants must:
- be a Registered Nurse and have access to mental health nurse practice or to mental health nurse practitioners during their course of study, and;
- be proficient in English.
Flexible study options
Situations change, your priorities may shift – which is why we’ve built flexible completion points into our online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health qualification.
This means that you can enter into the Graduate Diploma, and if you need to exit early – if home or work demand your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
The best part? Everything you complete will be credited towards your online Masters degree in mental health nursing, should you choose to finish it off at a later stage.
Receive a Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing by choosing
- Contemporary Mental Health
- Mental Health Across the Lifespan
- Mental Health in the Community, Non-government and Private Settings
- Acute Mental Health
Receive a Graduate Certificate in Health and Human Sciences Nursing by choosing
You will complete any four (4) units.
Whether you are commencing or extending your career in mental health, there are a number of career opportunities and pathways for graduates in this field. The theoretical and practical learning that underpins this degree can be applied across multiple health settings, including:
- Public and private hospitals and healthcare organisations
- Child adolescent, adult and older person mental health services
- Psychiatric nursing facilities
- Primary mental health settings
- Acute, community, rehabilitation and long-term care-focused settings
- Local, state and Commonwealth government
- Mental health-based research
Learning with Southern Cross University Online
Southern Cross University’s online training courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. The units in the Masters programs in mental health are delivered by respected academics via a collaborative and responsive interface.
- 100% online, shift-work friendly study – complete six units a year or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
- Student success support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you.
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators.