This unit allows you to explore the world of strategy within business environments, using case studies to demonstrate strategic management skills in real-world settings. You will adopt analytical, interpretive and evaluative approaches to organisations and their markets, developing an understanding of what influences business strategies.
As aspiring managers, this unit will help you lead and manage strategic change, allowing you to incorporate elements into your own development process. You will understand the purpose of strategy, how to implement vision and learn to adapt plans to meet international business needs.
In this unit, you will study:
- Strategy and the environment
- Strategic capabilities, strategic purpose and culture
- Business and corporate strategy
- International strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Managing strategic change and the practice of strategy
- Organising for success.
- Critically discuss the theories, concepts and models of strategic management and its place in the practice of management and business
- Think strategically about an organisation, its context and position, its long-term direction and viability, its capabilities, the effectiveness of its strategy, and its capacity to secure sustainable competitive advantage
- Apply strategic management frameworks and tools to conduct strategic analysis, make appropriate strategic choices and implement effective strategies
- Have developed skills and competencies in analysis, interpretation, planning, design, and implementation strategies
- Integrate and synthesise knowledge and skills gained in earlier units and be able to have a sophisticated, whole-of-organisation understanding of strategic practice
- Analyse and manage strategy ethically and in proper regard to context, including its relation corporate social responsibility, international and diverse environments, multiple stakeholders and to internal relations and politics
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Quiz: 10%
- Report: 40%
- Case study : 50%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.