This unit will extend your theoretical knowledge in addition to your social and emotional skills to improve communication, teamwork and client safety. Mindfulness and critical self-reflection will help you to understand yourself and others.
You’ll develop teamwork skills, including basic project planning, fostering a team climate, facilitating the contributions of others, giving and receiving feedback. Concurrently, your leadership skills will be developed to assist with the management of conflict and aggression using diplomacy and assertiveness, in line with organisational policies and processes.
In this unit, you will study:
- Introduction: Factors affecting teamwork and client safety and introduction to neuroscience
- Theoretical foundations of social and emotional competence
- Mindfulness and critical self-reflection
- Skills for fostering a team climate; including leadership, project planning, group facilitation and coordination
- Skills for giving and receiving feedback to peers and subordinates
- Conflict management skills including aggression, boundaries, bullying and mobbing.
- Critically evaluate the internal and external factors affecting the ways in which health workers interact with each other and the effect this has on client safety
- Integrate knowledge from neuroscience to explain the relationships between thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Compare and contrast concepts, theories and models of social and emotional intelligence, competence and teamwork
- Integrate mindfulness techniques into daily life to increase awareness and management of own values, thoughts and emotions
- Critically evaluate the emotions and behaviours of self and others to enable learning from experience using a model of reflection
- Plan and implement strategies to foster a team climate, manage boundaries and facilitate role/task allocation, and giving and receiving feedback
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Reflective writing – 40%
- Reflective writing – 50%
- Quiz – 10%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.