Analyse the role of accountability with a healthcare perspective, as well as evaluating concepts of professional accountability within organisations. Students are encouraged to develop a critical approach towards examining their worldview of service improvement and effective clinical outcomes. The fundamental concepts of clinical governance are also explored and analysed.
This unit will allow you to review key principles of clinical accountability, while comparing practices and their impact on clinical decision-making. You’ll find the link between accountability and governance, and develop a framework from which these can be evaluated and improved.
In this unit, you will explore and analyse:
- Clinical accountability
- Clinical standards
- Clinical governance.
- Critically review the key principles of clinical accountability within the health care context
- Compare and contrast discipline-based practice codes and their impact on clinical decision-making
- Demonstrate the linkage between clinical accountability and clinical governance
- Develop a framework for service evaluation and improvement
- Report on the legal implications governing clinical accountability in health
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Essay: 40%
- Report: 60%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.