This unit will develop the skills for effective written and verbal communication in business and management. You’ll learn how to prepare and deliver clear, powerful messages as an individual and in a group setting. You’ll analyse the strategies which help to manage the writing process – that is, to plan, write and edit a series of business documents.
Upon completion, students will have an understanding of key theories behind communicating for a business. You’ll also hold the ability to identify and apply the principles of academic integrity and literacy to workplace marketing and communication projects.
In this unit you will study:
- Communication theories and concepts
- Academic writing, literacy and referencing
- Managing the writing process
- Writing persuasively
- Developing an argument
- Writing an analysis
- Interpreting evaluation material
- Communication among people: The team
- Communication among people: Oral presentations
- Communication among people: Interpersonal skills
- Communication among people: Intercultural communication skills
- Communication and sustainability
- Identify different forms and theories of management communication
- Apply skills to manage the writing process
- Apply principles of academic integrity and academic literacy
- Write clear and concise business documents
- Apply effective communication skills, both individually and in diverse groups
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Executive summary: 20%
- Persuasive evaluation: 20%
- Case study: 25%
- Written report and oral presentation: 35%
You can study this unit as part of the Master of Busines Administration.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.