This unit is divided into two parts and studied across two consecutive study periods (double-weighted). You’ll assess current literature and highlight problems for investigation. You’ll use strategic research and data collection methods to fill in any research gaps. The commitment and dedication to effectively complete your research project will develop and demonstrate skills that can be easily transferred to your career.
The Industry Research Project is an exciting opportunity to practice self-management. You’ll receive as much support from your SCU supervisor as you need and ultimately, deliver a cohesive business report.
In this double-weighted unit, you will study:
- What is research?
- Identifying research problems and opportunities
- Reviewing previous research literature
- Designing a research project
- Understanding data analysis
- Developing qualitative research tools
- Developing quantitative research tools
- Review of research tools
- Quantitative data analysis
- Qualitative data analysis
- Reporting to industry
- Actioning research.
- Identify and justify business/industry related problems or issues worthy of investigation
- Create and present an ethical and achievable research design based on justifiable and evidence-based methods
- Critically review and synthesise literature with regard to relevant research problems and opportunities
- Develop, pilot and apply critical research tools that have the potential to solicit required data to analyse a given problem
- Creatively and effectively analyse data to reveal underlying patterns, themes and relationships
- Provide a professional report presenting research that is partial and relevant to the needs of targeted stakeholders
- Ethically and skilfully undertake data collection processes
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Research Proposal: 50%
- Literature review: 35%
- Short written response: 15%
- Research Instrument: 20%
- Preliminary findings and discussion – Draft of the respective report sections: 30%
- Report: 50%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.