Adopt a strategic outlook to human resources (HR) as a whole, and impart visionary plans and processes which will help you become an effective, skilful leader. This unit expands a baseline level of knowledge, introducing you to the aims and goals of HR and its role in business. You will begin to critically evaluate strategies, and assess contemporary issues facing the Asia-Pacific region from a HR perspective. By applying HR to organisational strategy, uncover the internal and external effects of such management on a business environment.
Upon completion, you will have gained research skills through analysis of strategic planning models and processes. You’ll be ready to integrate your understanding of strategic human resource management to your own managerial style.
In this unit, you will study:
- Introduction and context for Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Organisational changes and human resource planning
- Workforce design and talent management
- Management of performance
- Legislative context
- Evaluations: HRM professionals and the future
SCU Lecturer, Dr Silvia Nelson explains that the Human Resource Management unit has been designed to provide students with insights about the nature of building the human capital of an organisation.
- Apply scholarly theory, concepts and practical processes to Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Critically analyse the major HR functions, processes and players within an organisational context and appreciation of their role in strategic HR
- Research, analyse and cogently argue appropriate and creative solutions to human resource management issues in academic and workplace genres
- Write an original communication for a specific audience
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Essay: 30%
- Report: 40%
- Critical analysis and newspaper writing: 30%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.