Finance for Managers introduces you to financial concepts and contemporary issues related to business management. You will explore the time-value of money in a business context and external influences like interest rates. You’ll gain an understanding of budgeting as part of management, and the aspects of financing operations through capital structure and distribution policy.
Using real-life case studies, put theory into practice to lead a business with a financial mind-set, supported by an in-depth understanding of business finance and budgeting. It will become part of your nature to effectively incorporate financial acumen to your leadership style and decision-making process.
In this unit, you will study:
- Topic 1: Introduction to finance and the time value of money (TVM)
- Topic 2: Applying TVM: valuation and interest rates
- Topic 3: Risk and return
- Topic 4: Capital investment analysis: decision criteria and cash flow estimation
- Topic 5: Capital investment analysis: risk and the cost of capital
- Topic 6: Capital structure and payout policies
- Identify business financial decisions, their impacts on value, and the nature of the broader financial and regulatory environment in which these decisions are made
- Apply financial mathematics to the analysis of practical finance problems and opportunities
- Measure risk and return, and explain the risk-return trade-off and diversification
- Evaluate capital investments using appropriate capital budgeting techniques
- Compare and appraise alternative capital structures and distribution policies
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Quiz: 10%
- Quiz: 10%
- Case study: 30%
- Case study: 50%
This unit is taught on the assumption that students have basic knowledge of accounting statements as included in ACC00724 – Accounting for Managers or equivalent.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.