Develop knowledge and capabilities in evidence-based and effective talk-based interventions, through a critical analysis of key therapies from behaviourist theory perspectives. Applications of contemporary therapies to consumer’s mental health/illness is an important focus of this unit.
In this unit, you will cover:
- ‘Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ theory
- ‘Acceptance and Commitment Therapy’ theory
- Underpinning behaviourist theory including relational frame theory, arbitrarily applicable relational responding and stimulus equivalence
- Mindfulness-based interventions
- Using mindful interventions to promote wellbeing
- Critique the evolution of the theoretical frameworks that underpin cognitive behavioural therapy theory
- Integrate and critique the behaviourist theory on acceptance and commitment therapy
- Critically appraise the theoretical frameworks that underpin mindfulness based interventions
- Generate a programme of mindfulness based interventions in response to consumer’s needs
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Essay (due in Week 4): 50%
- Report (due in week 7): 50%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.