Are you prepared to lead the future of education? Designed to prepare you for educational environments in Australia and around the world, this course introduces key concepts in research literature and educational practices relevant to contemporary educational leadership. In this unit, you will cover:
- An introduction to concepts of educational leadership
- Theories and models of educational leadership and their practical implementation
- Influence of corporate and managerial models on educational leadership
- Challenges of leadership: ethics and values, balancing competing demands
- New ways of leading: distributed, collaborative, parallel, shared leadership models
- The role of inspiration and leadership as service in education settings
During this course, you are encouraged to reflect on your personal experiences in relation to academic literature. You’ll also learn how to critically engage with and analyse texts and apply the concepts learned to your professional practice.
Dr Richard Waters on Contemporary Educational Leadership unit.
- Critically engage with the research literature on educational leadership
- Describe and analyse the origins, distinguishing features and effects of various models of leadership in the field of education
- Apply concepts of educational leadership to a local context, and present and defend a strategy for improvement.
You are assessed according to the following three components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Discussion board: 5%
- Case study: 45%
- Report: 50%
You can study this unit as part of the Master of Education. Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.