Explore the broad canvas of social and political contexts in which educational leaders operate at a state, national and global level. Critically engage with current perspectives of educational reform including the latest debates and critiques.
In this unit, you will cover:
- A ‘tsunami’ of change: an introduction to contemporary educational contexts
- Educational reform policies: local, national and global agendas
- Critiques of government-led global reform in education
- Influences of, and responses to, technological change in educational contexts
- Future scenarios of contextual change influencing educational environments
- Challenges and opportunities for educational leadership in times of exponential change.
As new technology becomes increasingly prominent in education settings, you’ll analyse the influence of technology on schools and school leadership. You’ll critically extrapolate the disruptive and contributive influences, envisage future scenarios of change in educational contexts and explore and examine the consequences.
Dr Ruchard Waters on Contemporary Educational Contexts unit
- Demonstrate familiarity with key influences on contemporary education contexts, and their historical origins.
- Critically analyse key elements of contemporary education contexts.
- Reflect on case studies of disruptive and/or empowering elements of technological change and their effects on educational environments, and consider alternative strategies and outcomes.
- Identify and analyse the effects of educational change on local work environments, and propose strategies to achieve preferable educational futures.
You are assessed according to the following three components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Discussion board (due Week 2): 10%
- Case study (due Week 4): 40%
- Situational analysis (due Week 6): 50%.
You can study this unit as part of the Master of Education.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.