Incorporate a strong legal background into your leadership style by studying Business and Corporation Law. This unit is an introduction to the legal system, business and corporation law and related matters. It is important for professionals, such as accountants and business administrators, to have an appreciation of law in regulating society and the business community. Elements of essential business law, including key features of contract law and essential elements of corporation law, are covered throughout this unit. We’ll examine contract law-related issues and corporation law with regard to the concept of separate legal entity, formation, operation and corporate governance. You’ll graduate with an understanding of the Australian legal system, law relating to directors and management, members' rights, the winding up of a company, the Corporations Act and relevant case law. In this unit, you will study:
- The Australian legal system
- Contract law 1
- Contract law 2
- Agency, business structures, company incorporation and its consequences
- Company internal rules and membership
- Company management, corporate insolvency.
- Recognise the structure of the legal system and identify the sources of law in Australia
- Analyse the key principles and features of contract law
- Identify and analyse the legal aspects of business transactions, partnerships and companies, particularly in respect of the rights, obligations. duties and liabilities of agents, partners, company members and directors.
- Recognise and analyse the legal issues related to separate legal entity, formation, operation, administration and winding up of a company.
- Develop analytical skills in the use and reading of cases, statues and other legal material and apply these skills in resolving complex law fact situations
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Quiz - 10%
- Quiz - 10%
- Short written response - 30%
- Short written response - 50%
You can study this unit as part of the Master of Business Administration. Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 863 819 for more information based on your particular circumstances.