Consider the role, nature and practice of research in education. This unit introduces general research principles and qualitative, quantitative and mixed methodologies, with a focus on ethical issues in the conduct of research. You will plan a research-based project, develop a research proposal and write your own ethics application.
In this unit, you will cover:
- Foundational research skills
- The nature and purpose of a critical literature review
- Logistics of researching a topic – accessing information sources, literature search strategies, managing the literature review process
- Writing a literature review, including structuring an argument through a literature review.
- Locate, evaluate and critique information relevant to an educational problem
- Formulate and write a well-structured literature review, with a coherent line of argument
- Demonstrate effective skills in organizing, referencing and citing information.
You are assessed according to the following three components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Discussion board (due Week 2):10%
- Research skills (due Week 4): 40%
- Literature review (due Week 6): 50%.
You can study this unit as part of the Master of Education.
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your Southern Cross University Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.