This unit will provide you with an overall understanding of database concepts and theory. You will learn the steps required to design and build databases, and the key elements required to manage and maintain databases in an enterprise.
In this unit, you will study:
- Database fundamentals
- Using Databases and Scripts
- Data Modelling and Database Design
- Physical Database Design and Client-Server Databases
- Database Administration and Security
- Big Data and Database Warehousing.
- Identify and explain the terminology of the relational database model
- Model business information requirements
- Understand the processes used to translate data models into a logical database design with normalised relations
- Identify and design the essential elements of testing strategies and prove the functionalist of a database
- Describe the steps to develop a physical database design
- Explain the key managerial functions for effective administration of an enterprise’s databases
- Describe the key elements of an effective database and data security strategy
You are assessed according to the following components, each with its own weighted value against your overall result:
- Quiz: 10%
- Quiz: 10%
- Create and test a database: 35%
- Design, create and test a database: 45%
Please note, unit structure and content are subject to change. Contact your SCU Online student advisor on 1300 589 882 for more information based on your particular circumstances.