Develop the right skills to provide effective care
By completing Southern Cross University’s online Graduate Diploma in Mental Health course, you gain expert knowledge in mental health and psychiatry, while building the skills needed to confidently respond to patients experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
Developed with the latest industry standards in mind, this program prepares you to work within a range of health settings and disciplines. You will access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based knowledge and learn from leading and clinically active mental health academics from the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences.
With a growing need for professionals who understand the complexities of mental health, this postgraduate diploma will put you in good stead for a rewarding future in this field.
Provide effective care through your enhanced understanding of mental health and specialised skills
Gain knowledge to work across a broad range of public and private healthcare settings
Access an interactive and responsive learning platform, enabling fluid communication between students and academics
Ongoing support throughout your study journey from a dedicated Student Success Advisor
What you can study
The units that form part of the online postgraduate courses in mental health have been designed to develop the skills required to effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields.
You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework.
Complete all eight units:
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma, all applicants must:
- have successfully completed a minimum three (3) year Bachelor qualification, or equivalent, in a health, psychology or social science related discipline, and;
- be proficient in English.
Flexible study options
Situations change, your priorities may shift – which is why we’ve built flexible completion points into our online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health qualification.
This means that you can enter into the Graduate Diploma, and if you need to exit early – if home or work demand your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
The best part? Everything you complete will be credited towards your online Masters degree in mental health, should you choose to finish it off at a later stage.
Receive a Graduate Certificate in Mental Health by choosing
Any four units from the Graduate Diploma, except Evidence-based Health Practice or Healthcare Professional Portfolio.
Receive a Graduate Certificate in Health and Human Sciences by choosing
A total of four units: Evidence-based Health Practice and/or Healthcare Professional Portfolio, plus an additional two to three units from the Graduate Diploma.
Whether you are commencing or extending your career in mental health, there are a number of career opportunities and pathways for graduates in this field. The theoretical and practical learning that underpins this degree can be applied across multiple health settings, including:
- Public healthcare organisations and private practice
- Child adolescent, adult and older person mental health services
- Primary mental health settings
- Acute, community, rehabilitation and long-term care-focused settings
- Local community centres
- Consumer and carer groups
- Family counselling programs
- Mental health and wellness centre
- Not-for-profit organisations
- Local, state and Commonwealth government
- Mental health-based research.
Learning with Southern Cross University Online
Southern Cross University’s online training courses fit around your work and your lifestyle. The units in the Masters programs in mental health are delivered by respected academics via a collaborative and responsive interface.
- 100% online, shift-work friendly study – complete six units a year or skip a study period if life or work demands your full attention.
- Student success support – from enquiry to graduation, we are there for you.
- Networked for success – meet your future colleagues and collaborators.