Turning a unit fail into a positive experience
3 August 2016
Failing an online unit can be discouraging, but there are ways you can turn the experience around. Unforeseen circumstances can really throw your plans into disarray, and when you’re studying online, it can be hard not to feel isolated or demotivated.
Here are some tips to get you motivated again so you can come out of the experience stronger.
- Speak to your tutor. They know the material the best, they have seen many students go through what you’re going through and are there to help you. You can easily contact them via your course forum. Of course, you can always contact the student success advisor who gets assigned to you when you enrol, via phone (1300 589 882), live online chat, Facebook or even LinkedIn.
- Speak to your fellow students. Just because you don’t see each other face-to-face in a classroom, doesn’t mean you can’t have meaningful connections with those who are in the same boat as you. Find out how they tackled the material you struggled with, as they might have helpful methods and tricks for you.
- Come up with a new game plan. Now that you know what didn’t work, you can work on finding new ways of reaching your goals. Get organised, buy a new planner, get yourself onto some helpful task-orientated websites like Trello, and keep on top of things.
- Study smarter, not harder. Perhaps you just need to adjust the way you approach your study material. There are some proven ways you can complete your assignments more successfully. Here are 10 helpful tips on how to maximise your study time.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. Failing is never a good feeling, but we’ve all been there. Know that you’re not the first and you won’t be the last to not quite make it. The moment you feel negativity creep in, tell yourself that you’re not going there. Instead speak to a friend or family member who can help you stay positive; they care about you and want you to succeed.
SCU‘s online courses are set up to help you stay motivated, and you can find great tools to help you get back into your study groove on your online study portal.